Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" ~ John Lennon






Jason and I have felt rushed and tired a lot these last 2 weeks. It's been helter-skelter and trying to keep up. Our one saving grace is that the kiddos activities are on break until June 14th. I'm not sure how much worse we would feel if we were shuttling too. Jason's new position has kept him quite a bit busier. There is travel involved and dinners with clients in the evenings which requires special consideration and planning since my schedule also involves odd hours.

I enjoy the flexibility of my schedule but I haven't gotten a lot of sleep this week for some reason and it is catching up with me. On top of this front-week heavy schedule, Jason has had a client in town and needed to be gone on Monday evening. By the time you put this together, tonight is the first time we've been at home together since Sunday for any length of time.

The girls have been playing and fighting this week. The sprinkler has seen some action for after school 'cool offs'. Josie grew out of her leotard for gymnastics and Livi snatched it up and thought it was super cool that she could get it wet in the sprinkler. It has been nice to see them playing together and annoying to hear the screaming. All part of the fun :) These pictures are from Monday night. We played in the sprinkler and ended the night with brownies and milk--doesn't get much better than that!

I've noticed a big improvement in Livi's attention lately. It was always frustrating how much she tunes us out and while I knew some of it was sensory and some of it was stubborn I only just recently accepted that a huge reason is probably because a lot of time she didn't understand what we were saying. She probably blocked it out so she wouldn't become overwhelmed. Thinking of it in that way makes me cringe at my frustration. I have noticed great leaps in her attempts to communicate with us and matching that is a greater attentiveness and involvement. I welcome this for her and pray that it continues to grow. Livi is beginning to come out of her shyness bit by bit. While I don't think she will run up and say hi to someone she doesn't know she actually speaks up and tries to order her food at restaurants from time to time and doesn't sink down in the seat and try to disappear. I love that new found confidence!

So, I guess what this quote said to me and why it is fitting for my week is that J & I have been rushing and rushing with the details and here on a random Monday night, I got the opportunity to watch my girls playing and having the time of their lives with a water sprinkler in the front drive. These pictures make me smile and warm my heart. I see their personalities shining through and I am grateful for the reminder that life is all about the experiences along the way--the big and the small.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I love that quote! So true.

I'm also loving that you were able to play in the sprinklers. Um... Monday, we had SNOW! Yes snow! Finally today, we hit the 70's. Warmth at last.

How exciting that Livi is finding more confidence. Such a great step in the right direction. I can't wait to see how our kids interact at camp. I wonder how brave they will be. :)

Minnie said...

Oh yes, the sprinkler! I can remember 2 little boys and their cousins playing in it also. We had lots of popsicle wrappers all over the yard on those days. Looks like the girls are having a wonderful time.