Monday, June 28, 2010

We're Back!

We are back, but you wouldn't have even known we were missing judging by the lengthy delay between posts! Wow, what a busy couple of months it has been. Jason is getting into his new position at work, school ended, the girls spent some quality time with their grandparents, school resumed and we went to Adam's Camp since I last posted.

To catch up a bit:
  • Josie's report card turned out quite well--probably the best one yet. Way to go, Jocelyn!!!
  • Livi had a field trip at school that I got to go on. I won't post pictures online since it involves several of her classmates, but I hope this note will remind me to place them in the album for home use. She had a great time and I was happy I get to spend the day with her.
  • Summer school has resumed again. The girls only got 1 week off from regular session until summer school began. Summer school will end around mid-July. Then summer will really start around here.
We went to Cole Camp last weekend and got to celebrate Father's Day with our fantastic dads--Friday night we ate at Charlie's with Jason's mom and dad and on Saturday night, my sister Cathy had everyone over to her house to celebrate there (man, those were the best beans I have EVER eaten. Oh yeah, the ribs were pretty great too :)). The kiddos had a GREAT time playing with their cousins. Livi rode one of the ponies, the girls got to splash around in the pool and play rodeo in the arena (well they played cheering section for the rodeo!).

Bright and early Sunday morning, Jason drug us all out of bed and we got into the car to start our drive. We were on the road about 6:45 or so and drove until we reached Denver. We arrived 7pm. We did make several stops along the way--rest stops for meals; antique mall for my aching back; and bathroom/gas breaks. We stayed near the airport and we had time to take a swim in the pool at the hotel. This was a great reward for the kiddos.

All in all, the kids did a great job. The first 4 hours were the worst. After that, we would have a flair up just before Livi would crash for a nap. Once that was done, she was happy and giggly.

On Monday, we took our time a bit and started out around 9:30. We drove to Estes Park and walked along the river walk and ate lunch there. Then, we drove Trail Ridge Road to get to the YMCA camp. It was a beautiful drive and the girls had a great time looking at the mountains. They were fascinated with the concept of snow in the summer :)

Just one note so I don't forget...
One of the goals for Olivia's week at Adam's Camp was for her to ask for help when she needs it. I am so excited that today I heard her use the phrase "I don't know what that means" when someone said something to her she wasn't sure about. The first time was in speech today when the therapist used the word 'introduce' and the second time was with me in the car. I can't tell you how excited I am by this seemingly small thing. Before, Livi would've just ducked her head and said something random like "I have pink shoes but the strap broke" in the middle of a conversation. Way to go, Livi (I mean, Olivia--she has taken a sudden aversion to nicknames...I'm trying to watch myself :)).

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Wow! That is so great! I'm glad you are already starting to see progress. You are right. That is huge.

Jackson too is starting to make some changes. The therapist gave us some ideas for "rules" in the home to try and control outbursts. It has worked really well today. We are only on day 1 post Adams Camp, but I hope the behavior change will stick. I'll try and post more tonight.

ps - I wish I'd taken a better pic of you guys in the field. That was the only one we took and it looks like everyone was looking down or their eyes were closed. Don't blame you though - it was so stinkin' bright! :)

Susan said...

Not your fault on the picture (at all!) :) Wow--I'd be really interested in those rules...we could use some too (although they seem to work better when they've had a week to practice them with that group). I think that is what helps--that they have an entire week to consistently practice something. Hopefully it will stick for both of us!