Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blame It On The Boogie



CHORUS:
Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on the boogie

Don't you blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on the boogie



In May, Josie's dance class will be performing to the song "Blame it on the Boogie" by the Jackson 5. Needless to say, we've heard this song a LOT around the house and Livi has taken a special interest in it as well. On iTunes, it shows the album cover when it plays. The picture it shows is not the one above, but Michael Jackson around the 'Thriller' era. Ever since seeing that picture and hearing the song over and over, Livi has become somewhat obsessed with Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5.

Josie found out in dance class that Michael Jackson died recently and, of course, shared this news with Livi. Ever since then, variations of the following conversations take place around our house:

Livi: Michael Jackson has brothers and sisters and sings.
Mom: Yes, Livi he does. They call them the Jackson 5 when they sing all together.
Livi: But Michael Jackson is dead. He died.
Mom: Yes, Livi, he did.
Livi: But......why did he die?
Mom: Well, he had too much medicine. It is not healthy to have too much medicine.
Livi: But vitamins are alright?
Mom: Yes, Livi, when your doctor tells you to take medicine or you take it like you should, it is helpful for you. [So, I feel a little guilty about the part where the doctor actually gave Michael Jackson this amount but it's not quite so cut and dried as that so I leave all of that out of the conversation.]
Livi: He took too much medicine. He should have only taken one vitamin a day because that is not bad for you.
Mom: Right, Livi, one vitamin a day or medicine that a doctor tells you to take is not bad for you.

I don't like lying about things to the girls so I kind of simplify--sometimes I over simplify and I know it's close to lying at times, but I thought it'd be a good teaching lesson about medication as well :) I'm also certain that sometimes they get too much information, but when they ask very specific questions it is challenging to find the balance between answering truthfully and giving them information I would prefer they didn't know. She came up with the vitamin part by herself.

Anyway, we have to answer questions about how old Michael was, where he died, him singing the song, and she tells God "Thank you for Michael Jackson" sometimes when it is her turn to pray. So, if you like Michael Jackson's music, you will have a good (but perhaps awkward) conversation with Livi that will keep her interest. I write about this because she will bring it up in conversation from time to time and it can be confusing if you don't know where she's going with that.

The only song she knows though is Blame it On the Boogie :)

1 comment:

Jennie said...

That is so great. I love to hear that kind of dialogue. It helps me to know they are interested and want to ask questions.

There are so many times we get the I don't know.... I don't want to talk.

Whenever we get J to be the one to generate the idea, we try and go with it.

I totally agree with you about limiting information. As moms I think we know when they are ready for more. I've already found that with J as he has matured.