Friday, October 17, 2008

This Week

This week we had a home visit from Olivia's Special Education Preschool. Her teacher said that Olivia is doing a great job in school and they would like to transition her out of the special education preschool after the holidays (or consider reducing her time). She said that Olivia will play with anyone there and initiates playing. She said she is more like a peer (model) student now and they can't believe how much she has improved since the first week of school. She said that they've even noticed a big difference in the 3 weeks she's been at Green Meadows (her new school). So, all-in-all that is good news. Jason and I still have concerns over her ability to understand directions and expressed this to her teacher. She said one of the things that can be arranged is for Olivia to come out of the classroom and 'pre-learn' whatever they will be teaching in class the following week/day/etc. so that it is easier for her. I think that would be a good fit for her, but we still have some information gathering to do. I ran these suggestions by her new teacher, who agreed with them completely and said Olivia is doing well in the setting and it is almost distracting for her to have to leave class to go to the other school.

Jocelyn had her belt testing for Taekwondo tonight. She is trying for an orange belt. We won't find out until Wednesday...

The girls just left for the weekend to go to Jason's mom and dad's house. Last weekend they spent some time with my mom and dad. Thank you all for giving us the chance to do some Christimas planning and have some 'us' time--we've really appreciated it! As always, the girls were rarin' to go.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

What great news for O! I remember when Jackson progressed and transitioned. I really think it was harder for me than it was for him. I was so comfortable knowing he was "safe" in the special ed program. Full main streamed school was an unknown and therefore a concern. I never knew if the IEP team was just trying to push J out because he was high functioning, or if they really had his best interest in mind - hope that makes sense. Good luck. I know you'll do your homework and do what is best for O. You guys are such great advocates for her.