Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Little Motivation...


When I was cleaning out the attic for the garage sale, I came across an old printer's box that I had used to store small trinkets in while we lived in the apartment. I dug it out again and placed some of my tiny collectibles in it for the girl's bathroom. Olivia and Jocelyn hadn't really seen these so needless to say, they were fascinated (mostly because everything is so small). A sample of what I had displayed is pictured to the right: 2 pickle pins that were given to me by some new friends at a church youth gathering in Dallas, Texas (high school); a small glass kitty family that my grandmother gave to me when I was little; a nurse angel pin that was given to me by a patient when I was a nurse tech during nursing school; two cattle tags with the #11 (my volleyball number) that my dad found for me; a pressed penny from Disney (our honeymoon); my nursing graduation pin; a thimble crated for Cole Camp's 150 year celebration; a red bull pin that was my grandpa's; and beads from my dad's baby bracelet.

Anyway, the girls thought these items (plus some others) were very interesting, but the one that caught Olivia's eye was the cat family. She begged and begged to play with them. So...being a mom who is always looking for a new way to get things accomplished, I told her she could play with the kitties 'only if she went poopie in the potty'. It took 2 hours of running in and out of the bathroom and trying (plus about a million questions during that time) before we were finally successful. Because it went so well (and I didn't want a good thing to wear off too quickly), I made a big production out of her playing with the kitties and 1) made her play with them at a table on a towel; 2) set the timer for a 15 minute time limit before they had to be put away again; and 3) praised the heck out of her ability to do this!!! Well, I'm happy to say, that she has been 4/4 going #2 in the potty since then. Jason just shakes his head at me and I don't know how long it will last, but I'm happy for whatever time it gives us from cleaning dirty pants! I even packed them to take on vacation and that is a picture of Olivia playing with them.

No comments: