Friday, June 6, 2008

Gatlinburg, TN ~ Sunday, June 1

Our second full day in Gatlinburg started by waking up a bit late and then heading to a trail and picnic area. This area is a bit of a tradition for Jason's family who has visited Gatlinburg several times in the past and includes this as a part of their trip. It was nice to take pictures of 'the next generation' in the same location as pictures taken in the past.

This was a very laid back morning, which the girls loved. Jocelyn and I walked on a short trail by ourselves and saw what we are calling "marks from the bears sharpening their claws on the tree trunks". Yes, this is open for debate, but we had a good time guessing what the bears did there and if they were hiding nearby.

Brandon and Jocelyn went for a walk on the trail and as soon as Olivia saw them go, she wanted to go too so I went with her. We walked a bit slower, but I had such a great time listening to Olivia talk on the trail. She was telling me all about the flowers and the trees, bridges and rocks that we encoutered along the way. She was happy and calm and was doing a great job of following directions. Before we went to the picnic area, Olivia picked out the bird she is holding in the picture. It makes bird sounds when you squeeze it and was a very popular toy. Jocelyn picked out one that was very similar but was a wolf instead of a bird.




Because Olivia and I were lagging behind Brandon and Josie quite a bit [okay, anyone who was with Olivia on this trip was lagging behind. This has been a struggle for us to deal with as both Jason and I can be a bit impatient, but what we have learned from our experiences with Olivia is that she goes at her own pace--very slowly--and your day will only get worse if you try to rush it]. We are getting better at accomodating her pace and are working to allow for it more rather than try to change it. Some days are better than others (for my patience!). So, while they were waiting for Olivia and I, Jason and Jocelyn took off walking around next to the creek. Within a few minutes there was a blood-curdling scream and VERY loud crying. I could tell it was Jocelyn. Walking on the rocks, she slipped and fell in the creek onto her bottom. So, not only was her bottom a little sore, but she was DRENCHED and embarassed. Luckily, I had a spare set of clothes (intended for Olivia, but I try to pack an outfit that can work for both of them--excuse me while I pat myself on the back for a rare moment). We got her changed and Jason and his mom told Jocelyn about how they have each fallen in that same creek doing the same thing. She was finally able to laugh about it.

After that, we went to walk around down town and window shop a bit. We took it slow and got some snack food. Olivia piddled by a fountain for at least 30 minutes while we ate ice cream and hot dogs.

When we returned to the cabin, we grilled and it was a very relaxing way to end the day!

No comments: