Friday, January 7, 2011

Garth!

Jason's birthday gift was a video camera. When the carpet was supposed to be installed the first time (but the wrong carpet came), there is a video on our computer of Jason showing the house in that state. At that time, we had moved all of the furniture from the bedrooms (and closets) into the living room and it seriously looked like an episode of 'hoarders' could be filmed in our home. If you know Jason well, then you know that this made him seriously annoyed. I have to smile when I see the video because this annoyance comes through...

Anyway, one night, surrounded by our mountains of 'things', we were watching Oprah. Well, I forced Jason to watch with me and Garth Brooks was on. This started a conversation that the Garth concert I went to in '91 was probably one of the best concerts I've ever been too. Jason expressed interest and we found out on the show that he was performing in Vegas at the Wynn. So, as a half joke, I start looking up tickets...to Vegas, hotel, concert...and then I spy (with my little eye) that Garth is doing the Flood Relief concerts in Nashville. There happened to be one on a Friday night the very next week! After a bit of debate and glancing around our hole of a home, we called my mom who agreed to watch our troop while we road-tripped to Nashville. I can't express enough thanks to my mom and dad for bailing us out--this was a MUCH needed trip. The hotel room was CLEAN :)

Garth was really wonderful. I'm so glad we made the trip to Nashville because I was unaware that the Wynn concerts were not with the band. Garth with the band--like we saw in Nashville--is a really fun experience. Her performed for 1.5 hours with the band and then came out for about 30 minutes with just him and his guitar singing requests from the crowd.

We weren't in Nashville very long--we arrived after driving 7 hours at 3 or 4 pm, checked in, took a nap, walked to find some dinner and went to the concert. In the morning, we woke up and drove to the Lovelace Cafe (recommended by a co-worker who lived in Nashville). It was great! From there, we drove back. So, a quick trip with lots of time in the car but well worth it. I'm so glad we were able to go!





1 comment:

Jennie said...

The concert sounded like so much fun. What a great road trip for the two of you. And yes... before and after pics are a must.