Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Livi Update

Hmmm....where to begin?

Probably our most exciting news is that Livi can swim half the length of the pool now without putting her feet down!!! She's still a little scared to do it and you have to push her a bit, but she is putting her face in the water to swim and then bringing it out of the water to take a breath and putting it back in. I seriously had my worries that swimming would be on our 'to do' list for years. We will still have years of fine tuning this skill, but she has made so much progress since her first lesson in June that I can't help but be proud! In June she wouldn't get her nose wet. Now she is doing some swimming on her own in the deep end--go Livi!

From Drop Box


Livi has her first mini-dance recital on Saturday, December 11th. Just the little girls have a Christmas program; Josie has to wait until May (but she will have two performances then so I guess it all evens out!). She is quite excited. I am nervous. First, because she's got some pretty good stage fright. Second, because her hair has to be 'half up'. I have NEVER been able to get her hair that way as she is VERY particular about her hair. I am hoping that because we have been able to do a couple of new things with it lately--like braids--that we will carry this one off without a hitch. Fingers crossed!

On the downside, homework is the equivalent of torture at our house right now. Math is a struggle, as is reading comprehension and answering questions. Livi's behavior is at it's peak during this time which just adds to the flair a bit. Nose to the grind, we are doing our best.

Jason has been out of town all week and so it has just been the girls! I had to lay down the law pretty hard on night one (several toys were placed in the garage in time out) and I thought my eardrum would burst from all the screaming in protest, but after a two hour showdown I am pleased to say that the next two evenings have gone much more smoothly. Before I pat myself on the back too much, you should know that Livi came home 'sick' yesterday and so she didn't have homework that day. Today she forgot her homework. The showdown was over homework! hahaha Livi was absolutely NOT sick, by the way. No fever, plenty of EATING (good grief, she ate ALL day--maybe she had a stomach ache because she was starving!), no other signs. I was sure not to make her day at home fun, because this is not a habit we want to start.

Usually I can check her backpack before we leave school and make sure her homework is in the bag, but today I had to pick her up after her teacher had left so I couldn't get the homework. I think Livi's illness was related to a substitute teacher. She has been eagerly awaiting the return of her regular teacher who will be back tomorrow. Conveniently, Jason will be back in time to help with homework tomorrow (sneaky, aren't I?).

Livi has missed her Daddy and will be so excited to see him come home again. That is a daddy's girl like no other.

No comments: