Saturday, March 20, 2010

Livi - March 19



Every year for Jocelyn's birthday, we wake her up by bringing her a waffle or pancake with a candle in it and we sing her happy birthday. I had to go to work early this year so I was not present for Josie's wake up, but we decided to do the same thing for Livi this year. Because Livi is not usually awake when we do this for Josie, there wasn't a pressing need for the ritual, but I wanted to try it with Livi and involve her in this too.

Just one more example how kids are different :) Waking Livi up in this way was extremely disruptive for her. Let's just say that nothing went smoothly after that. She yelled at us for singing Happy Birthday (and putting candles in her waffle); she yelled at us for everything in between. The funny thing about it is that I think she liked it, she just didn't know how to handle it. She ate her waffle and asked for another. She enjoyed blowing out the candle and yelled at us to "do it again, hmphf!". It was a strange morning.

We did get some cookies for Livi to take to share with her class and she loved that idea. She said 'Thank you momma for doing that. Don't forget to put them with my stuff". Anyway, all in all it was a very strange morning.

The weather was amazing though! It was the perfect day as far as I'm concerned--67degrees and fantastic. We had a small cake for Livi and she enjoyed that very much.

All in all, Livi had a good birthday and enjoyed being the center of attention, but like anything, it is very hard to have special days go without a hitch :)

I can't believe how far my 'baby' is from being a baby.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I'm glad she ended up having a good day. I know that is hard to have even the simplest be so hard.

I went to a great conference this weekend for parents of special needs children. I'll try to post some of the "stuff" I learned / was reminded of in the next week or so.