Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Long Weekend (Thank Goodness!)

The girls did not have school on Friday, so I took off work to hang out with them. Because the Roots and Blues Festival was in Columbia, Jason and I requested some time with the grandparents for the girls. They spent the weekend with Jason's mom and dad. I drove the girls to Cole Camp on Friday and we visited with my mom and dad for awhile there. There was a new member of the family and the girls got to ride Papa's new pony, Goldie.

Goldie is a sweet, sweet pony. She's older (in her teens), so she's pretty calm. She's been around kids for a long time and is a great first-time ride. Even though it was not Josie or Olivia's first time riding (close for Josie), my girls were a bit nervous. Josie got on first though and Papa led Goldie around the yard and let Josie get used to it. By the end of the afternoon, Josie was riding by herself and practicing turns. I'm not sure why, but Livi did not think this was a situation she wanted to be involved in. We had to bribe her to sit long enough for the picture. I think it's the saddle that is making her nervous, but I'm not sure. Cathy said she would bring up some equipment to make it match what Livi is used to riding at Therapeutic Horseback.

I dropped the girls off at Jason's mom and dad's house and then made my way back to Columbia. On Saturday, Jason and I made our way downtown for the festival. We never actually made it in the gates of the festival, but it was still great because you could hear the music throughout the downtown area. We made our rounds eating and drinking our way through downtown. First, we stopped for burgers at Booche's. This is a Columbia institution and it is shockingly bad to have to admit that I had not eaten a burger there in the 10+ years we've lived in Columbia--shockingly bad. The burgers were great! After we left there, we stumbled upon a new brewery opening on Broadway--aptly titled Broadway Brewery. The owner was outside and we decided it sounded like a good place to get a drink. We ended up getting a couple of drinks (well, Jason did) and a pizza to split. From there, we went to CJ's to get wings. This is another place that I had not been to yet. Jason used to go here to "study" with Pete when he was taking classes at the University. The wings and beer were good here as well :) We rolled ourselves around the corner and hit the Candy Factory. We picked up some truffles and turtles. From there, we went to Flat Branch park and listened to a band play. We ran some errands after that, came home and took a nap, and then made a big dinner, ate again and watched movies. So, I've taken two or three naps, eaten a ton of good food, watched some movies, just got done cleaning house...what a great way to recharge some dead batteries at our house!

Next weekend, the girls will visit my mom and dad while we head to Herman's Oktoberfest with Kristy and Aaron (and friends). Looking forward to a short work week and another long weekend!

1 comment:

Cynda said...

I'm so glad you found my blog and now I have found yours. I can't wait to read all about your family!