Tuesday, May 12, 2009

We're Back!


Over the past couple of weeks, we've been running helter-skelter to get ready for our trip and continue to finish up stuff on Olivia's evaluations. We meet with the school next Tuesday to hear the results of all the evaluations. We also managed to catch a cancellation for the Neuro-Psych evaluation and we will be doing that on the 26th. Otherwise, it would've been the end of July. Not the worst wait we've ever had (by far), but I'm glad to get this information before we begin to plan for Kindergarten.

Even after calling the school office twice, there is still no guarantee that Olivia will be at the same school as Jocelyn. This, of course, makes us a bit nervous, but not enough to act rashly :) We'll wait it out and hope for the best. If it doesn't work that way, then we will try to see the bright side while we figure out the next best step!

Last Monday, my mom came up to stay at our house so we could go to New York City! She stayed with the girls and the dog and we couldn't be more appreciative. Thank you so much for doing that for us!!! We had a great time on the trip and enjoy a chance to recharge.

Vacation Rundown (more detailed posts later, but I'm waiting for some pictures from Steve and Sarah):
  • Tuesday--Flew out of StL to NYC. Arrived around 1pm. After checking into our hotel, we kicked around in Central Park and walked to the Guggenheim. They were doing some construction there and the museum was a bit of a disappointment (not good at all :)). At least we had a joke from day 1! That night we went and saw the Yankees and Red Sox play at the new Yankees stadium. The Yankees lost--what more could we ask for?
  • Wednesday--We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and then visited China Town. After that, we took the subway to get on the Staten Island Ferry and see the Statue of Liberty. We sat at a 'comfort station' (translate: outdoor beer garden) to regain our strength, then we returned to our hotel to change for dinner and the theater. We went to see Wicked and it was wonderful!!! This was my favorite day--loved it!
  • Thursday--We started the day off in the Metropolitan Museum. It was a good museum, but very, very big. We only spent a couple of hours there and got to see the Impressionist paintings. I love me some Renoir :) We actually spent a lot of time walking on this day. We took the subway to Grand Central Terminal and ate lunch there. After that, we walked to see the Chrysler Building, St Peter's, & Rockefeller Center. The boys and girls split up after that--girls to shop and boys to drink beer. We were all happy. It was rainy outside but not for too long. We met up for dinner and then went to see Phantom of the Opera. Phantom was also a very good show. We had excellent seats and enjoyed ourselves a lot.
  • Friday--This was a catch-all day. We went to the top of the Empire State Building, went to the Museum of Modern Art (overrated), ate some food from the street vendor (underrated), walked around to find Pearl River Mart (pretty good) & piddled at the Brewery that the guys found the day before. We splurged on dinner and made it an 'event'. Creme Brulee--my favorite!!!
  • Saturday--Getting back home was a bit of an ordeal. First, the shuttle took us there WAYYYYYYYYYYY too early. Then, our flights were delayed enough so that we would miss our connecting flight and not be able to fly from Pittsburgh to STL on Sat at all. Luckily, they hooked us up on another airline with a direct flight. We sat at the airport a long time. I read a Nicolas Sparks book there so I guess that was a plus.
We arrived home safely and enjoyed ourselves very much. As always, we wish it could last a bit longer :)

2 comments:

Jennie said...

What fun!!! I'm so glad you were able to go. I'm also glad you liked Wicked. Ryan and I loved it. "toss, toss" - Glinda was awesome. Good luck with all of O's evals and placements. It is nerve racking at times, but you'll get through it. Keep us posted.

Brandon said...

Looking forward to the pics. Lezlie and I would have loved to go but as you know, we've got other things going on. I love the street vendor comment. When we were talking about going, I told Lezlie the first thing I would do after getting to NYC was to get a juicy hot dog from the street. Man, am I sophisticated or what?