Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Can we laugh about this already?

This has not been a good week. I wish I could lie and say it was. I am very hopeful that we will look back on this entry with a smile rather than some recognition of 'oh it was even like this then'.

Saturday and Sunday mornings, Olivia was AWFUL. She started both days on the wrong foot and spent the entire mornings in trouble. We finally got her calmed down and tried to take her out of the house for a change of scenery and were rewarded by the opportunity to carry her through the mall kicking and screaming...no, not through a store, through HALF the mall. Poor Jason. Nice.

Monday, Jocelyn gets in trouble at school (more talking and wiggling). She owes recess for this on Wednesday because she had a field trip on Tuesday. All parents received an email from the school principal that the school had to go on lockdown because of a car chase and shooting in the area. I have some concerns that my 7 year old who lives in mid-MO knows what a 'lockdown' is...and this isn't her first one (there was one last year for the same reason)...Ironically, I also had our last appointment with Behavioral Therapy for Olivia as she has completed her sessions (can you believe we started that in March?).

Tuesday, Jocelyn loses 5 more minutes of recess for Wednesday (screaming in a cave). After school, I take the girls to 'their choice' restaurant before gymnastics. They choose Burger King. While we wait in line, Olivia gets hung up on the comment that she wanted a particular toy in her kids meal. I told her we don't get to choose the toys but she was in a mood not to listen so she kept getting louder and louder and louder. Jocelyn wasn't acting up but wasn't acting well either. I walked out of the place and ordered them to follow. Their punishment was losing their choice of place to eat and giving it to me with the continued threat that we would not go to gymnastics if they didn't behave at my choice location. Because we needed to eat and they got the point from walking out of our second place in 3 days, I tried to pick the worst place to take kids that I could think of. I chose the hospital cafeteria (no french fries, chicken, kid food, fun stuff...). They did a very good job and behaved well through dinner and at gymnastics. Olivia's teacher commented how well behaved she was, how well she followed directions, and how she walked on the beam by herself. And Jocelyn's teacher said she is doing a good job, but needs one more skill to move to the next level (yep, it's on the dreaded bar...). Oddly enough, the girls want to know when they can go back to eat at the hospital...what?!?!

Today, I received two phone calls within 5 minutes as I left work to pick up the girls. The first is Olivia's new preschool asking if I picked Olivia up at the other preschool because her bus hadn't brought her back yet (30 minutes after the expected time). She ended up on that bus for 1 hour and 15 minutes due to a substitute driver. The other call was the principal at Jocelyn's school wanting to talk to me about a bus stop incident. It appears that Jocelyn got into trouble at the bus stop. An older kid was teasing her and it was a special situation but she kicked him and so we needed to respond to that (especially in light of the fact that her week has been going as it has). So, no TV or snacks at home until Saturday, no Halloween Party at Taekwondo, and she had to write multiple apologies.

Is it the weather?

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Wow! What a week. You are right. I am proud of you though for following through. I don't think a lot of ppl. would take the time to switch restaurants etc. Way to be hard core with 'em and let them know who is boss. :) I hope you guys have a great Halloween. I can't wait to see pics of the girls in their costumes.