Thursday, February 7, 2008

Update

Jocelyn got a "Grant All Star" card this week for her great story writing!!! She loves it when they send them home through the mail after posting them on the main bulletin board at school for awhile. I think it's a really nice gesture that the kids really love. I always see kids dragging their parents over to the board so they can show them off.
Today, we had Olivia's annual visit to the developmental delay physician in Columbia. This visit was a little different than they have been in the past. We didn't see the therapists and I'm not quite sure why. The good news is that as far as our MD is concerned we are in a position that we are getting what we can get for Olivia and there really aren't other avenues to pursue at this time. She just said to 'keep it up' and will only need to see us as needed. So, for now, unless something changes, one less appointment to keep! It was actually a bit of a relief to not have an enormous 'to do' list after leaving somewhere.
Really though, we still have quite a to do list for the year. At the end of the month, we have Olivia's annual IEP meeting which is where we discuss her education plan for the next year. In March, we are going to take her to the Behavioral Support Clinic and get some suggestions for ways to handle her impulsiveness and some of the things we have been struggling with at home. They will also be able to help us with our next project--toilet training (woo hoo!). I've ordered some supplies and we've been talking about "Big Girl Day" that will be coming soon. We'll see how this goes :) In March, therapeutic horseback riding starts again--I've already raved about how great that has been. In August, we will be going to Adam's Camp for a week. We are enrolled in the Mountain Therapy Camp. Look in the links section if you want more information on the camp. We are excited about this opportunity. There will be 5 therapists for a group of 5 kids and so they will receive a lot of 1:1 attention. Before we go to camp they will help us pick about 5 goals that they will work on through the week. We are hopeful that this will help 'boost' some of the things we have been working on at home. Adam's camp is also great because there is a lot of built in 'break time' for parents and a sibling group for Jocelyn.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Congratulations Jocelyn on your writing award! That is great. Jackson says to tell you and Olivia Hi.

Susan, you guys are amazing. I am so glad that you are on top of Olivia's care and therapy. It is a lot to manage and as parents of special needs children I think we are always looking for "the next thing" or something else that will help our children.

I only wish we were at Adams Camp with you this year! Maybe next year it will be our turn. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Try to find the plastic covers. We have been using those with great success. Lauren has had 3 accident free days at the babysitter so far. If you have no luck, let me know and I will ask the babysitter where she got them.