It's a little hard to see in the picture, but for those of you who missed Olivia's black eyes from her encounter with the front of the couch, I've included a shot (oh how I love the ER!)
The new year is already off to a bang. We traveled to Louisville, Kentucky the first weekend this month to take part in a research study for Olivia's condition (Chromosomal duplication of 7q11.23). We found out there are about 25-30 in the world (this is an estimate by one of the specialists and is generously accounting for cases we are not aware of yet). The assumption is that there are several more cases in existence (up to 1 in 7500), but that they have been diagnosed as something else, like autism.
During the weekend, we were able to get a full battery of psychological, cognitive, speech, and adaptive testing done on Olivia (and Jocelyn--they went ahead and did all the testing on her as well for a comparison. We were greatful because it kept Jocelyn happily engaged throughout the weekend. As she said "I have to go see ANOTHER person--everyone wants to see me!" If you think I'm misquoting, you don't know Jocelyn very well). Anyway, Jocelyn's evaluation came out great--"a little wiggly, but nothing she won't grow out of--and we have no concerns because she is list
So, after the weekend of testing, we are now setting up appointments (and getting on the waiting list) for the Behavior Support Clinic at the Autism Center here in Columbia. We found that it would be helpful for us (and was strongly recommended) to get assistance. The first available times are in March.
With this new information, I have also withdrawn my status as a graduate student at MU. I was excited to continue my education, but am definitely able to use my time in a more appropriate place (at home). Jason & I have started home-work time after dinner and it takes two of us (a third and fourth person wouldn't hurt). We've actually only had one night of it and the only thing we can say is 'surely she'll (Olivia) wear down one night soon and it won't be such a battle. We're determined :)
2 comments:
You guys, I love your blog! I am so glad you started one. It is a great way to keep in touch. I know it will help my family to get to know your family a little bit better. You'll have to post updates about your "homework" time. We do that with Jackson and it is a daily struggle for sure. Any tips / advice would be great. Anyway.... welcome to the blogging world. We are excited to peek in on your lives and see what the Heimsoths have been up to. ~Jennie
Thanks, Jennie--I've been addicted to yours (which started all of it). I need some suggestions on your format though--I'll have to write you about that!
Susan
Post a Comment