Monday, January 21, 2008

Obituary Notice

We had a morning of mourning (sorry, had to do it). Jocelyn's fish, 'Sparkle', died this morning in a very sad way--I think she got caught in the filter or the other fish attacked her. So, not only was she dead, but it wasn't a pretty death. Anyway, as Josie says, "Lacey (they other fish), is SOOOOOOOOOO sad today and so am I". I asked her if we should do anything like put the fish outside--yes, in this weather, I was praying she would say no. She thought that wrapping it in a paper towel and putting it in the trash would be fine. Jocelyn drew some pictures of her fish and has now put them up in her room so we can remember her by.

I was lucky enough to have the day off today, so I am home with the girls. We have spent the morning cleaning out their rooms and eating an early lunch (Olivia didn't eat breakfast, but she downed 4 plates of spaghetti--"Mmmmm . . . this spaghetti good" while Josie had to be prodded to eat every bite. Their favorite treat right now is chocolate chips although I have to make sure I have granola bars (peanut butter & choc. chip) and raisins with me at almost all times for Olivia. I've even planted boxes of them in my car.


Well, Jason and I are off to San Diego, CA this week! We will drive to KC tomorrow night and stay at the airport hotel as our plane leaves at 0800 on Wednesday. I am going for a conference and Jason is going . . . . because . . . . well, I must confess, I don't quite understand how this is working. Let me explain, Jason has traveled a little bit over the years for work, and not once have I been included in these trips. I understand the time when he went to London on less than a week's notice and there is no way we could afford the plane trip on top of the expedited passport it would require. I even understand all the times that he went with someone else from work. What I don't understand is the several days he spent by himself at a posh resort near Las Vegas . . . hmmmmm . . .


Anyway, we will get there early enough on Wednesday to look around, then I have class on Thursday and Friday and we will be flying home on Friday night. It will be a little crowded and I won't see a lot, but we'll get a few meals out on our own, so it's worth it! A BIG thank you to mom for coming and staying with the girls--they are excited!!!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh yeah! I'm so excited you guys get a trip away.... alone! Our trip is coming up to. We can't wait!

Jennie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is so sad. Lauren had a melt down yesterday when I reminded her her fish had died (about a week after Santa brought him). She looks at the tank every day, but I guess the emotions finally surfaced.
What you should have done is wrap the fish in an M&M's wrapper and have a ceremony.

Susan said...

Yes, Cathy, that worked well for us at the lake, didn't it? It is the ONLY proper burial for a fish. Thanks for the recipe, by the way :)